Monday, September 14, 2015

In Ghana:

“Dum so Dum so” which literarily translates to turn off, turn on. The sum up of Ghana electricity and a running joke amongst Ghanaians, but when I first arrived, I didn’t find it so funny.
I lived with my grandfather and his wife in their house on the outskirts of Accra, the capital. When I arrived the electricity was off, and slowly but surely, I learned to get use to the 12 hours of electricity and the 24 hours of no electricity cycle. It’s so easy to forget how much I depend on electricity back in the states but living somewhere, where electricity is not guaranteed 24/7 definitely allows to organize your daily life strategically so that you don’t end up with a dead phone for days or wrinkled clothes to work.
I had completely forgotten about this but I was quickly reminded of it.

The food, oh the food! Even though I cook Ghanaian food in the states, there is nothing like fresh produce turned into a delicious meal in the kitchen by my grandfather’s wife, Ma B.
Because I was too busy eating, to take pictures, I found some pictures online of foods I helped make and ate. Enjoy the images, don’t get too hungry!


   





My first meal in Uganda:

No comments:

Post a Comment